Friday, September 18, 2009

EF 300mm f/2.8 L IS

This is a sharp, image-stabilized lens that packs a lot of performance into a relatively affordable package as compared to other manufacturers. The 300 only has 2-stop IS, not bad but, would be nice to have 4-stops like the current 200/2L IS.


Strong points of this lens:

• Produces critically sharp images wide open at f/2.6

• Great for travel and for multiple body/lens use when roaming

• Good hand-hold-able performance at slow shutter speeds because of image stabilization

• Good contrast, color (and bokeh when shot at f/2.8)

• Makes a reasonably good 420mm lens with the EF 1.4x extender (f/4)

• Bokeh (diffusely blurred out of focus background) good with this lens

• Very fast to focus

Limitations of this lens:

• Cost and weight of the lens

I no longer shoot commercially so I had to save for several months to buy this lens. This is the best lens in this format that I have ever owned. I have used it for three months now and carry it to all events that I attend with my cameras. With my 1.4x it focuses without an apparent loss of speed and it is still very sharp. I have not tried the 2x as I do not have one yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment